Chicago Tylenol murders

Thirty years after seven people died from ingesting poisoned Tylenol capsules , state prosecutors are weighing whether to commission a grand jury to compel witness statements in the case, sources tell the Chicago Sun-Times.
The evidence investigators presented to prosecutors so far remains circumstantial, but could be bolstered through statements from potential witnesses who have declined to sit for interviews,
according to sources close to the investigation.
So far, however, no decision has been made on whether to give the grand jury a green light. Sources say both state attorneys from Cook and DuPage counties have been briefed on the evidence. The investigation, handled by an FBI-led task force of law enforcement agents, still centers on the same man: James W. Lewis, sources tell the Sun-Times.
“The task force was charged with looking at all aspects of the long dormant investigation, including the re-interview of witnesses, computerizing all documents and exhibits, and subjecting physical evidence to new and previously unavailable forensic examinations,” FBI spokesman Ross Rice said in a statement. “To date, hundreds of interviews have been conducted and several thousand pieces of potential evidence re-examined.”
But are they any further along?
“You’re either at the point where you can charge someone or you’re not. We are obviously not in the position to charge right now but we are farther along,” Rice said. “The task force is still in place, they’re still actively reinvestigating the case. “

Even the “Unibomber” Ted Kaczynski had been swabbed for DNA at one point — but sources said that was done to exclude him as a suspect.
In 2010, Lewis and his wife had been ordered to submit a DNA sample, fingerprints and palm prints to investigators.
“There are things they uncovered that you’d want to take a second look at forensically,” said one law enforcement source.
In 1982, seven Chicago area residents — five in Cook and two in DuPage — died after taking Extra Strength Tylenol capsules, which later were found to have been laced with cyanide, touching off a nationwide scare that led to new packaging for medicines and food. Various theories have been put forth over the years.
Lewis has remained the chief suspect for investigators.
He was never charged with the murders but in 1983 he was charged with extorting the drug maker’s parent company, Johnson & Johnson, demanding in a letter $1 million to “stop the killings.” Lewis served 13 years in prison.
The Tylenol investigation remained dormant until 2009, when FBI agents — citing advances in forensic technology and new tips on the cyanide poisonings — raided Lewis’ Boston-area home and storage lockers. At the time, the FBI said there was probable cause to believe the locations contained evidence related to the murders.
In 1978, Lewis was charged with the murder of Raymond West, an elderly former client of Lewis’ accounting business. West’s body had been dismembered, stuffed in a plastic bag and hoisted to an attic ceiling in West’s home. Charges were dismissed after a judge ruled that Lewis’ arrest and search of his home were improperly conducted. He later moved to Boston and in 2004 he was charged with brutally kidnapping and raping a woman. He was in jail for about three years awaiting trial but the charges were dismissed in 2007 after the victim refused to testify against him.
In recent years, Lewis wrote a book entitled “Poison! The Doctor’s Dilemma,” which he describes as a “twisted and surreal” fictional story about random poisonings. Lewis did not respond for comment but on his web site, called Johnson & Johnson the “prime murder suspect.”
Contributing: Dan Rozek