Steve Nash not retiring


Steve Nash not retiring news

SAN ANTONIO - The soreness in Steve Nash's right hamstring won't go away.
But he vows that won't keep him off the court.
"I just feel fortunate I can play and try to help my team," Nash said. "It's not great. It's not going to be great. But I have to worry about what I can do."
Nash discovered he couldn't do much in the Lakers' Game 1 loss Sunday to the San Antonio Spurs. He finished with 16 points and committed only one of the team's 18 turnovers. But Nash shot only 6 of 15 from the field, registered only three assists and couldn't help the Lakers' twin towers, Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard, overcome San Antonio's persistent double teams.

Nash then reported afterwards that "I didn't feel myself."
After participating in the Lakers' light practice Monday, Nash said he wasn't "moving like normal."
Yet, Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni expects Nash to play in Game 2 on Wednesday.
"I've seen him play better. He's been the MVP twice," D'Antoni said, referring to when Nash won the league award for two consecutive years in the four seasons D'Antoni coached him in Phoenix. "But we're not going to do this without him. He's going to add a lot."
Nash didn't add much in Game 1.
The Lakers' starting lineup featuring Nash (point guard), Steve Blake (shooting guard), Metta World Peace (small forward), Gasol (power forward) and Howard (center) marked the first time the team had used that combination all season. 
That's because Nash's return coincided with the first time he played without Kobe Bryant, who has missed the past four contests because of a season-ending torn left Achilles tendon. 
According to the NBA's statistical database, the Lakers' starting lineup played 17 minutes Sunday and shot a collective 38.7 percent from the field. Nash only went 2 of 7 from the field on jumpers.
Does Nash have enough in his arsenal to adapt?
"The arsenal is probably an overexaggeration at this point. I have to do patchwork, fight and will the ball in the basket," Nash said in a self-deprecating manner. "I have to keep fighting and be there for my teammates."
This goes beyond Nash inspiring them.
"He needs to shoot well," D'Antoni said of Nash. "But we have a better shot of him shooting well than anyone else I know. We'll take our chances."

Nash hardly sounded concerned about taking chances in further worsening his hamstring.
Nash said he has recovered enough from a three-week absence that playing won't compromise his long-term health.
Nash believes he won't need an invasive procedure this offseason to treat a lingering injury that sidelined him for the last eight regular-season games. And he downplayed the lingering soreness, hoping he can manage it through his daily routine consisting of treatment and on-court work.
"I love to play and I love this team," Nash said. "We had a lot of ups and downs and a lot of tough nights. I want to turn that around and be a part of helping these guys enjoy this."
It has proved challenging for Nash to maintain such optimism.
In what he described as a "tough year," Nash also missed 24 games because of a fractured left leg. His 32-game absence marked the most games he has missed in his 17-year career since being sidelined for 26 games with the Dallas Mavericks in the 1999-2000 season.
Nash's 6.7 assists per game also falls below his career average (8.5).
Did the 39-year-old guard consider retiring?
"No. Not even close. When I was healthy, I felt really good," said Nash, who has two years worth $19.5 million left on his contract. "Once I got my legs under me after breaking my leg, I felt as good as I've ever had. I still feel optimistic I'll feel that way next year."
The Lakers also expressed optimism he will play better soon.
"Throughout the series," Howard said, "I think he's going to be a lot better at making those shots."
That's why Nash will stay on the court.
"I'm still thrilled to get a chance to play in the series," Nash said. "I'm thrilled to fight for my teammates and try to make something come out of all this."