NJ man arrested train news
More than a week before three people were killed and more than 260 people were injured in the Boston Marathon bombings, a Jersey City man carried two homemade explosives on an NJ Transit train, authorities say.
Police also found explosive devices in the Newport Parkway home of Mykyta Panasenko, 27, Jersey City police said Thursday. According to a criminal complaint, Panasenko is charged with having "two destructive devices, specifically improvised explosive devices
(IEDs) constructed from a cylinder containing Pyrodex (black powder)" on April 5, the criminal complaint says.
He is also charged with recklessly creating widespread risk of injury or damage to a building which normally contains 25 or more persons by constructing the explosive devices, according to the charges filed by the FBI-led Joint Terrorism Task Force and the Port Authority Police Department.
The FBI did not return calls for more details and no one answered the door at Panasenko's home this afternoon.
Although the arrest was made more than a week ago, it was not reported by authorities. The Jersey Journal learned about the incidents when Panasenko appeared in Central Judicial Processing court to hear the charges Wednesday.
Authorities also charged Panasenko with having two improvised explosive devises at 4 p.m. on April 7 aboard an NJ Transit train leaving Hoboken and bound for Suffern, N.Y., the complaint says.
Earlier this month the Jersey City Police Department's Bomb Squad responded to the home of Panasenko after getting information from the New York Police Department and the FBI, Jersey City Police Deputy Chief Peter Nalbach said this afternoon.
Inside the residence police found "materials that may have been used to make an explosive device," Nalbach said, adding that the information came from a tip provided by someone who knows Panasenko.
The complaint charging Panasenko with having explosive devices at his home was signed on April 15, the day of the Boston Marathon bombings, and the complaint charging him with having explosive devices on the train was signed on April 16. The Jersey Journal
FACTS & FIGURES
News of the arrest comes after revelations that the Tsarnaev brothers, the two suspects in the Boston bombings, had plans to set off bombs in Manhattan. The Huffington Post
New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said on Thursday that Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev told the FBI that he and his brother, Tamerlan, intended to drive to New York to set off more bombs. Boston Globe
The 19-year-old suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings has told interrogators that the American wars in Iraq and Afghanistan motivated him and his brother to carry out the attack, according to U.S. officials familiar with the interviews. The Washington Post
The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity to describe an ongoing investigation, said Dzhokhar and his older brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, do not appear to have been directed by a foreign terrorist organization. The Washington Post
Dzhokhar admitted to his role in the deadly plot that killed three and left more than 260 wounded before he was read his Miranda rights, according to a "senior law enforcement official." The Huffington Post
The mother of the two Boston bombing suspects told reporters at a news conference Thursday that she will never accept the idea that her sons carried out the attacks that killed three people and injured 264. USA Today
The parents of Dzhokhar and Tamerlan have vigorously denied accusations that their sons were behind the bombing.
They have accused the U.S. authorities of framing Tamerlan and Dzhokhar - Mr. Tsarnaev described the death of his son as an 'inside job', while Mrs. Tsarnaeva claimed that the government 'wanted to eliminate' Tamerlan. Daily Mail